Having a power nap in the afternoon can have a marked increase in your productivity, creativeness, alertness and memory but there are certain criteria for getting the most out of your nap.
1. Turn off your mobile and make sure you will have no interruptions. The world and its problems will still be there when you wake up.
2. The best time to have a power nap in between 2pm and 4pm. After this could have an impact on your night sleep.
3. It is important not to nap for longer than 30 minutes. Turn on an alarm to make sure you don’t sleep for any longer as you won’t reap the benefits. Don’t hit the snooze button!
5. Have a cup of coffee immediately before your nap. The caffeine won’t kick in for at least 20 minutes.
6. Make sure the room in which you are napping is at a comfortable temperature.
7. Schedule in your power nap time to your daily timetable.
8. Try to sleep in a darkened room or wear an eye mask.
9 Don’t worry if you can’t sleep, deep relaxation is just as beneficial.
10. Keep your eyes closed and relax your body and mind.
These ten tips work for me but you may need to adapt them to suit your own circumstances. It isn’t ‘lazy’ to take a power nap and can help you to become more productive than you colleagues with a ‘caffeine’ fix!
If you find that you need to take more and more naps, it would be beneficial to have a chat with your doctor to rule out anything more sinister.
I hope that power napping works for you and would love to hear about your experiences and any more tips you may have.